Sophomore Joe McDonald undergoes hip surgery, expected to return for 2014-15

Sophomore Joe McDonald passes the ball during GWs game against George Mason on Jan. 25. Hatchet File Photo
Sophomore Joe McDonald passes the ball during GW’s game against George Mason on Jan. 25. Hatchet File Photo
Sophomore Joe McDonald passes the ball during GW's game against George Mason on Jan. 25. Hatchet File Photo

Sophomore Joe McDonald underwent surgery on his left hip Thursday, the athletic department announced today.

McDonald is expected to be ready to return for the 2014-15 season, but no word was given on when in the season his return is to be made, according to the release.

McDonald was forced to cope with his injured hip all season, while teammates and fans often held their breath whenever he would attack the rim and draw a hard foul.

McDonald had to sit out in the middle of games on multiple occasions due to discomfort and reaggravation.

On Dec. 4 against Rutgers, McDonald was fouled hard  on a fastbreak drive to the rim, on a play that was initally called a flagrant foul. McDonald would sit out the remainder of the game.

On Jan 29, after sustaining a hard fall in the first half of a home game against La Salle, McDonald would return in the second half wearing sweats. He missed GW’s following game against Dayton Jan 31.

But McDonald would only miss one game all year, and still managed to start in 32 games for the Colonials, while averaging  8.3 points, 4.6 rebounds, 4.1 assists and 1.6 steals per game.