West Hall freshman remains in critical care unit

Campus police officers found a 19-year freshman unconscious in his West Hall bedroom on Tuesday afternoon. He remains in critical care. Hatchet File Photo.

Updated: Thursday, April 3 at 12:48 p.m.

The freshman who was found unconscious in his West Hall room on Tuesday remains in intensive care at GW Hospital, a University official confirmed Thursday late morning.

The 19-year-old was rushed to the hospital at about 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday after campus police officers found him in his bedroom with “substantial” injuries, Metropolitan Police Department spokesman Araz Alali said.

Senior Associate Dean of Students Mark Levine, who was with the student’s family in the hospital, said the family did not wish to provide additional information at this time.

The freshman is a member of the Beta Theta Pi fraternity and the University Honors Program. The University Counseling Center and Center for Student Engagement have offered support to the chapter and program this week.

West Hall, a tight-knit community on the Mount Vernon Campus of about 300 freshmen and upperclassmen, has been touched by tragedy this semester. Senior Lynley Redwood was found dead in her room early Tuesday morning. In January, the residence hall was shaken by the suicide of freshman Sean Keefer.

About 680 students live on the 25-acre Mount Vernon Campus.

University counselors are available to West Hall residents between 4 and 7 p.m. through Friday.

– Brianna Gurciullo contributed reporting.