Senior who died in West Hall identified

Hatchet File Photo.
West Hall on the Mount Vernon Campus. Hatchet File Photo

The senior found dead in her West Hall room Tuesday was 21-year-old Lynley Redwood, according to police records.

Redwood, whose family lives in Lutherville, Md., was a chemistry major in the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences. She was a 2010 graduate of Bryn Mawr School for Girls in Baltimore.

As an undergraduate, Redwood was selected to work for a biology lab called Howard Hughes Medical Institute at the University of Maryland-Baltimore County, according to its website. She was also a member of a health care advocacy organization called Health Leads D.C., which is located at the Children’s National Medical Center.

“In the aftermath of this tragic loss, I urge all of us to take care of ourselves and look out for one another,” University President Steven Knapp wrote in a message to the GW community Tuesday evening.

Officers from the University Police Department found her unconscious in her room Tuesday morning around 7:30 a.m., after her mother told police she had not heard from her daughter. Metropolitan Police Department spokesman Araz Alali said detectives did not find evidence of criminal activity, but could not provide additional details.

She had lived on the fourth floor of the Mount Vernon Campus building, which houses about 300 freshmen and upperclassmen.

Her mother, Sherri Redwood, did not wish to comment.

Students can speak with University counselors in West Hall rooms 121 and 125 on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 4 to 7 p.m.

Members of the community may also contact the University Counseling Center at 202-994-5300. UCC is open for walk-in services from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays.