Grant to give GW more resources to help recovering addicts

The Center for Alcohol and other Drug Education earned a $10,000 grant to improve resources and outreach for students recovering from drug and alcohol addiction, the University announced Wednesday.

The three-year grant, awarded by Transforming Youth Recovery and the Stacie Mathewson Foundation, will add GW into a network of 48 schools focused on recovery and will give CADE money to develop more resources for addicts.

“This generous grant will move GW into the national conversation on ways to serve this emerging college student community,” CADE Associate Director Alexis Janda said. “We will focus on raising awareness of the experience of students at various stages of recovery through education and activities.”

GW has had the student group, Students for Recovery, provide students with a safe place to discuss their issues in weekly meetings and plans dry social events since 2012. Last year, the University Counseling Center also has a free group therapy session that meets once a week.

“CADE will use this funding to enhance resources and provide additional direct support to identify and address the needs of students in recovery,” Senior Associate Dean of Students Mark Levine said. “We recognize the importance of expanding and promoting the SFR community in order to reach students who are in need of these services.”