Business school accidentally emails spreadsheet of students’ GPAs, GWID numbers

duques_file
Officials expect Point Chaud Cafe and Crepes to fill GDub Java’s old spot in Duques Hall by January. Hatchet File Photo.
duques_file
Duques Hall. Hatchet file photo.

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Jacqueline Thomsen

An adviser in the GW School of Business mistakenly emailed a spreadsheet of graduating master’s students’ grade point averages and GWID numbers to three dozen students last week.

About 36 students received the email, which included information about all master of business administration students intending to graduate this spring.

Dustin Carnevale, a spokesperson for the business school, said students who received the email were quickly asked to delete it and that students were given the option to change relevant GW information.

A PIN or password is also required to access GW systems – not just a GWID number – creating “limited risk,” interim dean Christopher Kayes wrote in a letter to students.

“We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience. The university is committed to protecting the security and privacy of your personal information,” he wrote.

Tapan Bhargava, an MBA student and senator in the Student Association, said students were still unhappy despite the apology from Kayes.

“Many want personal apologies and want descriptions of safeguards they are putting into place,” he said.

President of the MBA Association Greg Vallarino declined to comment, but said the group would release a statement this week.

About 1,000 students are in the school’s MBA program.