Men’s basketball head coach Mike Lonergan staying in Foggy Bottom

Head coach Mike Lonergan talks to his bench during the A-10 Tournament earlier this season. Hatchet File Photo

Updated: Saturday, March 28 at 9:49 a.m.

After leading GW on an 11-game improvement and a trip to the NCAA Tournament for the first time in seven years, men’s basketball head coach Mike Lonergan is being rewarded.

The third-year head coach is set to have his contract renewed through the 2020-21 season, according to early reports from CBSSports.com’s Jon Rothstein. The news was officially announced by the University Friday morning.

“When I was hired at GW three years ago it fulfilled a career-long dream to coach at the highest level of college basketball,” Lonergan said in a press release. “Having had the opportunity to return to my roots and once again coach in the area where I grew up, it’s now my truest hope that this will be where I retire.

In his three years at GW, Lonergan has accumulated a 47-43 record, with the Colonials resurgence to recognition this year undoubtedly being the highlight. His 2013-14 squad finished third this season in the six-bid Atlantic 10, after being picked to finish 10th out of 13 teams in the preseason poll.

“As we continue to strengthen our athletic program, it is important to look well into the future. Securing strong, stable leadership for our men’s basketball program was a high priority. Mike has succeeded in bringing high quality young men to GW, and we are proud of how they have developed both on and off the court,” Director of Athletics and Recreation Patrick Nero said in a press release. “We want this past season to be the foundation for a basketball program that can continue to grow and flourish under Mike’s leadership for many years to come.”

No details of the contract were listed in the release.