Courses to save your schedule

Sitting bleary-eyed in front of GWeb Information System – better know as Banweb – at 6:59 a.m. for registration is never fun. Even worse is the feeling of dread and panic that sinks in after something inevitably goes wrong: you get kicked off the site, you accidentally register for classes at the same time or that dream class you’ve been eyeing is already full.

Get through registration stress and salvage your schedule. Instead of stalking GWeb for the next four months waiting for someone to drop a class, venture off the beaten path and register for these hidden gems:

Under the Radar Favorite: Human Geography GEOG 1001

Students often prefer to sign up for anthropology over geography to fulfill international affairs requirements, but many who enroll in geography classes find themselves falling hard for the subject.

Catherine Kosse, a sophomore majoring in international affairs, took Human Geography to fulfill requirements but is now considering minoring in the subject.

“I really love geography because it provides this different perspective of thinking about politics, the climate, water wars and resource scarcity,” Kosse said. “I think it’s really important too, because, at a very basic level, it forces you to learn where things are.”

With a department staffed by dedicated and engaging professors, geography is applicable to a variety of disciplines including political science, sustainability and economics. Besides, you’re not missing much in anthropology – it’s all just a social construction.

Learn a Hireable Skill: Intro to Web Software Development CSCI 1023

Intro to Web Software Development covers everything from web programming to computer languages such as JavaScript and HTML.

If you harbor dreams of finally learning some code and the difficulty doesn’t phase you, the CSCI 1023 provides the fundamentals you will need for more advanced web classes. It won’t be an easy A, but it is definitely worth it in the long run.

Web editing skills, unlike your knowledge of Bismarck’s Germany, are appealing to future employers. As an added bonus, the class emphasises hands-on experience during labs rather than lectures.

Pick Up a Hobby: Japanese Swordsmanship LSPA 1015

It’s only worth one credit but Japanese Swordsmanship will prepare you for spontaneous ninja attacks and provide you with cool personal fact in icebreaker games for life.

Everyone took Taekwondo in elementary school, and while black belts are impressive, this class involves swords. Japanese swordsmanship, also known as Kenjutsu, originated with Samurai warriors in feudal Japan.

In addition to learning the historical background, the class also provides students with an opportunity to get some exercise and relax. In fact, there’s probably no better way to channel your frustration with GWeb than fending off your stress with a sword.

“Oh Captain, My Captain” Professor: Intro to Existentialism PHIL 1193

Ignoring the fact that “Dead Poets Society” takes place in a high school, Robin Williams’ character, English teacher John Keating, is an idealized college professor – enigmatic, badass and prone to spewing Latin catchphrases. A great professor can make even the most boring class exciting and make already exciting classes life-changing.

A perennial student favorite is Michael Sigrist, who teaches Philosophy and Literature and Introduction to Existentialism.

“He’s really good at engaging students and making them look at the material in a personal way,” sophomore Avery Sellers said. “He’s everything you’d ever want in a professor.”

His classes force students to contemplate such profound questions as the meaning of life and the nature of the universe. And while we can’t guarantee any poetry readings in the forest, Sigrist has a rating of 3.9 on RateMyProfessors.com. Carpe Diem.