GW names newest residence hall ‘District House’

We can officially stop calling it the “superdorm.”

University President Steven Knapp announced Tuesday that GW’s $130 million residence hall – what is now a massive construction pit between H and I streets – will be named “District House.”

A total of 400 names were submitted for the residence hall, including Tricentennial Hall, University Commons and Unity Hall.

The name was picked by senior Alexandra Blackwell, an international affairs major.

“History doesn’t just happen here, it’s created here. At GW, we live among the monuments – both human and stone – that will color history books for decades to come,” she wrote in the description for the name.

The building will house sophomores and juniors and more affinity housing when it opens in 2016.

The announcement came in another dramatic video appearance by Knapp, which begins with Knapp explaining that he had to break the news to his fluffy white pooch, Ruffles that she would not be the building’s namesake.

“She was a little surprised because, you know, she’s very popular on campus,” Knapp said from his office desk.

This post was updated on March 25 at 4:12 p.m. to reflect the following correction
The Hatchet incorrectly reported that District House would cost $130. Of course, it will cost $130 million.