University undecided on how to make up snow days

Aly Kruse | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Aly Kruse | Hatchet Staff Photographer

GW has not yet decided whether to add more make-up days this spring after canceling three and a half days of classes, a spokeswoman said this week.

But many professors with Monday classes have already tweaked their class schedules and assignments to fit in all the work during one of the snowiest semesters in recent years.

Nabil Mikhail, an adjunct professor of political science, said it would be hard to fit all of the material into his international politics class before the end of the semester without requiring students to attend additional sessions.

“It makes the months of March and April very difficult because you need to utilize every minute,” he said. “It forces you to have the remaining six weeks sound almost like an emergency situation.”

Kim Gross, an associate professor of media and public affairs, said she expected at least one of the reading days, May 1 and 2, to become a makeup day, though it would take away from students’ time to prepare for finals.

April 29 is currently a scheduled makeup day, and April 30 is a designated Monday.

GW has cancelled classes due to snow three times and delayed classes once. Monday morning classes have been cancelled twice, and the University has closed two other Mondays because of national holidays.

Roxanne Russell, who teaches broadcast news reporting Mondays at 12:45 p.m., said she lost sleep Sunday night worrying that yet another Monday class would be cancelled.

“I don’t mean to be a wuss about it but I was thinking, ‘I need to have class!’,” she said.