Kevin Bacon’s band hits Lisner stage to benefit troops

Photo courtesy of the Bacon Brothers Band

What does Kevin Bacon do when he’s not starring in television shows? Jam in a band with his brother, of course.

The “Bacon Brothers Band” will take the stage at Lisner Auditorium on Saturday as part of a Stand for the Troops concert event. It will be the first time the event will take place in the District.

Kevin and his brother Michael – who composes music for television shows and films – have played music together since they were kids, but it wasn’t until 1997 that they released their debut album “Forosoco.” The album name is meant to be an original combo genre that describes their sound – a folk-rock-soul-country mix.

“It was kinda a joke – it was a music category we came up with because people would say ‘oh it’s kinda folksy kinda rock,’” Kevin Bacon said in an interview.

Stand for the Troops chief executive officer Eilhys England formed the organization with her late husband, Col. David H. Hackworth to connect military veterans with resources like therapy to treat post traumatic stress disorder.

“There really aren’t any treatments for traumatic stress or brain injuries, it’s primarily talk therapy and a lot of people don’t have access to it or are weary of the stigma that comes with having post traumatic stress, that’s a real issue,” England said.

The Bacon Brothers got connected with the organization through a mutual friend in the music industry, and Kevin Bacon cites his involvement as an extension of his connection to military roles he’s played.

“When you play someone you have the responsibility to research the role and then you have to develop the ability to walk in those shoes and that’s made it possible for me to see a quality I don’t have, to put yourself in harm’s way for others and I really admire that a lot,” he said.

But don’t kick off your Sunday shoes just yet – Kevin Bacon said that though they initially “embraced the beast” and played “Footloose” before, the brothers don’t plan on breaking it out on Saturday.

“We played it for so many years, that, just like any other song, we got sick of playing it,” Kevin Bacon said.

The event will also feature performances from Saturday Night Live alumnus Jim Breuer, jazz musicians Bucky Pizzarelli and Ed Laub, 1980s jingle writers Buskin and Batteu and folk artist Tom Prasada-Rao.

Student tickets are $12 and England said there are still around 200 seats available for purchase.