Marvin Center to house student health, counseling center offices

The student health and counseling centers will move to the Marvin Center in early 2015. Hatchet File Photo.

GW will move both its student health and counseling centers to the Marvin Center by early 2015, officials announced Wednesday.

Student Health Service and the University Counseling Center, both located in leased offices on K Street, will be housed on the ground floor of the student hub. The offices will replace the top floor of the bookstore, which will continue to sell textbooks and supplies downstairs but move its GW apparel and gear sales to another location.

The unexpected announcement comes after a semester of intense lobbying by Student Association President Julia Susuni and a commitment by University President Steven Knapp last November to relocate both wellness centers.

“I want to thank our working group for its efforts to identify a permanent space on campus for these vital university services,” Knapp said in a release. “Our Student Association leaders made a compelling case for co-locating health services and the counseling center to make them more accessible to students.”

Dean of Student Affairs Peter Konwerski had previously said the Marvin Center would be an ideal location but that acquiring that much space would take years of gradual reshuffling. Other areas under consideration included the basement space of the Science and Engineering Hall and the “superdorm.”

One of GW’s top wellness officials, Mark Levine, told the Hatchet last fall that the move would require a big investment in resources and that it would be “favorable” to renew the health center’s K Street lease until 2020.