Baseball earns two A-10 weekly awards after series win

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Josh Solomon.

It’s been a good week for GW sports. While the basketball teams are headed into postseason play, the baseball team nabbed two weekly honors – sophomore Bobby LeWarne earned Atlantic 10 Co-Pitcher of the Week, while freshman Bobby Campbell won Rookie of the Week, the league announced Monday.

The second-year righty threw a complete-game, one-hit shutout against Monmouth to clinch a series victory for GW this weekend. It was LeWarne’s first win of the year as the Colonials improved to 6-10 on the season with A-10 play just around the corner.

The young pitcher out of Des Moines, Iowa worked economically, going the full nine innings on 105 pitches with 71 strikes. Although he only threw a first-pitch strike to less than half the batters he faced, LeWarne did not walk a single batter. He struck out seven Blue Hawks on the day, six of whom whiffed on the third strike.

LeWarne never faced much trouble and gave up his lone hit, a leadoff single to right field, in the sixth. His efforts did not go to waste with the offense, especially Campbell, coming up big. He singled home the winning run in the eighth inning on a base hit up the middle to score senior Owen Beightol, who had moved over to third on a sacrifice bunt.

Over the four games this week, in which GW went 3-1, Campbell batted .462 going 6-13. In the Colonials’ 11-4 rout over Saint Peter’s Tuesday he went 3-5 with two RBIs and one run scored. The first-year third baseman and local DMV product from St. Johns College High School leads the team with nine RBIs and is second on the team with a .320 batting average.

Last week, freshman Jacob Williams won the honors for Pitcher of the Week. He continued his strong start in the series opener against Monmouth, going seven innings, while allowing no runs and two hits on 81 pitches. Seniors Luke Staub and Colin Milon came on in relief to close out the 1-0 victory. It was Milon’s second save of the season.

The Colonials will play Georgetown in Bethesda, Wednesday afternoon before they begin conference action against Saint Joseph’s Friday in a three-game series.