GW would be champs if March Madness was determined by highest tuition

GW players and fans celebrate as GW is given a No. 9 seed in the NCAA Tournaments East region. Cameron Lancaster | Assistant Photo Editor
GW players and fans celebrate as GW is given a No. 9 seed in the NCAA Tournament’s East region. Cameron Lancaster | Assistant Photo Editor
GW players and fans celebrate as GW is given a No. 9 seed in the NCAA Tournament's East region. Cameron Lancaster | Assistant Photo Editor

Forget about picking your bracket winners based on weirdest mascots or best color combination. Try annual tuition payments.

Websites like The Awl and Slate have already done the math, and determined that GW would win the NCAA Tournament pretty handily if high tuition determined winners. The Colonials would blow away the competition, actually, with at least a $3,000 cushion in each matchup.

That’s probably not the best way to judge college pricing, however. If you were to pick based on average net price – or how much students pay after financial aid – GW would lose in the title game to American, according to a Hatchet analysis of Department of Education data. So, there’s some solace.

Adding insult to injury? GW would be knocked out in the first round if you used the NCAA’s Academic Progress Rate, according to Inside Higher Ed, and the second round if you used U.S. News & World Report rankings.

But remember: Georgetown isn’t dancing. Get those brackets filled out – using whatever method suits you.