Lonergan adds center to 2014 recruiting class

The men’s basketball team may have found its missing piece for next season, as big man Matt Cimino gave his verbal commitment to GW Sunday, according to reports from Evan Daniels of Scout.com.

Cimino, a 6-foot-10 center from Worcester (Mass.) Academy, will join head coach Mike Lonergan’s 2014 recruiting class that currently includes forwards Yuta Watanabe and Darain Bryant and guard Paul Jorgensen.

Center Matt Cimino, left, plays in a game for Worcester Academy. The big man gave his verbal commitment to GW Sunday. | Courtesy of Flickr

Cimino made a visit to GW for the Colonials 66-58 victory over District-rival George Mason on March 2, citing that day as a key factor in his decision.

“When I went on my visit and I just met so many people,” Cimino said in an interview with Daniels. “I felt like I was wanted and needed there compared to every other school. I was needed there most there.”

Finding a big man was the biggest hole the Colonials had to fill, with senior forward Isaiah Armwood set to graduate this year. It’s very possible that Cimino could see immediate action next season, complimenting sophomore Kevin Larsen in the frontcourt.

The center is already known for having a unique combination of size and touch around the basket, as well as great hands and the ability to hit a mid-range jumper.

In addition to the prospect of making an immediate impact, Cimino was most attracted to Foggy Bottom by the connections made with the coaching staff.

“First and foremost it’s probably my relationship with the coaches,” Cimino said in an interview. “They’ve been with me for a while and through ups and downs. My relationship with coach Longeran and coach [Hajj] Turner is very good.”

One of the top 25 centers of the 2014 class, Cimino is a three-star recruit according to ESPN and Rivals.com.

Cimino reportedly had other offers form big name schools such as Virginia, Indiana, Boston College, Kansas State, Georgia and Georgia Tech. According to the Scout.com report, Cimino had narrowed his list down to GW, Georgia and Georgia Tech – all of whom offered him a scholarship. With the signing, Lonergan is now left with one available scholarship for 2014.