Colonials a No. 9 seed in most recent Bracketology

Graduate guard Maurice Creek looks for a pass during a game against George Mason last week. Hatchet File Photo
Graduate Guard Maurice Creek looks for a pass during the game against George Mason on Sunday. Creek led the Colonials to a 66-58 victory over the Patriots with 22 points. Cameron Lancaster | Assistant Photo Editor

With less than two weeks until Selection Sunday, the men’s basketball team finds itself as a No. 9 seed in ESPN Joe Lunardi’s most recent Bracketology.

The new bracket, released Monday, is a small step down for the Colonials, who dropped from an eight seed in the Feb. 27 bracket. Their current matchup has them facing off with No. 8 seed Arizona State of the Pac-10.

The minor drop likely comes due to the Colonials recent conference losses against VCU, Massachusetts and Saint Louis, though their RPI has stayed relatively the same – most recently at 32 after the win over George Mason.

With the craziness that has gone on over the past week in the NCAA – former-No. 1 Syracuse and Atlantic 10 leading Saint Louis losing back to back games, for instance – GW finds itself projected to be in No. 1 Florida’s region. Also in the projected South Region is A-10 rival VCU, whom GW has split conference games with this season.

Unlike the Colonials move down in the seedings, VCU finds itself on an upswing after a win over the Billikens last Saturday. Like GW, though, the win came after a stretch in which the Rams lost three of four.

GW and VCU would be two of five A-10 teams represented in the Tournament of 64, along with Saint Louis as a No. 4 seed, Massachusetts as No. 7 and Saint Joseph’s as a No. 10.

These were telling words from head coach Mike Lonergan Sunday: He said he thinks GW is a “lock” for the NCAA Tournament.