Neighborhood’s last newsstand shuts its doors

Foggy Bottom’s only newsstand closed Friday after 25 years.

One Stop News, which sold hundreds of publications from British tabloids to niche music weeklies, had seen a sharp decline in business as readership increasingly shifted online.

One Stop News went out of business Friday. | Hatchet File Photo.

The store, which is located in The Shops at 2000 Penn, had been at least $63,000 behind on rent, fees and taxes as of last February, when GW sued to evict the newstand. The shop eventually settled the case with GW out of court.

Many of its regular customers, some who work in the office complex above, stopped by Friday for their final purchases, Manager Brian Keaveny told the Washington Post.

A store employee, Josh Venne, told The Hatchet last year he hoped the store would survive despite the impact of widespread online content.

“It’s an awesome little store. It’s buried away here, and it’s like a hidden treasure for a lot of people,” Venne said then. “I think there’s enough people that still want to hold a physical publication in their hands and also accidentally find something that they weren’t intending to find.

The shop’s departure comes about two weeks after Cone E. Island announced it would shut its doors in March.

The Shops in 2000 Penn have struggled in recent years as big names like Whole Foods have lured customers away from the aging mall.