Get off your bottom: Oscar nominee marathons and St. Vincent at 9:30

Oscar statue. Photo used under the Creative Commons License.

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Margaret Kahn.

Listen: St. Vincent

St. Vincent aka Annie Clark is your typical indie girl who can always be depended on for catchy hooks and badass fashion. Case in point: she just debuted a new purplish grey, cotton candy-like shock of curls that only the raddest of rad could pull off. Her new self-titled album will be out this Tuesday and she’s hitting the road the next three months to promote it. The first single is “Birth in Reverse,” which boasts a pumped-up chorus and electric guitar chords. Regardless of taste, you can’t help but be curious about an album the artist describes as a “party record you could play at a funeral.”

9:30 Club, 815 V St. NW. Sunday, March 2, 7 pm. tickets: $30

Binge-Watch: AMC One-Day Marathon Event

According to a recent Reuters poll, two-thirds of Americans have not seen any of the films nominated for the best picture Oscar. To help fix that, AMC theaters across the nation are showing all 10 nominees back-to-back this weekend. Yes, all 10 in a row. Go hard or go home, movie lovers. This is a challenge for even the most accomplished binge-watchers. If you think you can handle it, head over to Georgetown and prep before you watch the ceremony itself, which will be broadcast on ABC at 7 p.m. Sunday.

Saturday, March 1 AMC Loews Georgetown 14, 3111 K St. NW. 10 am. Tickets: $60

Learn: Hollywood, DC: What the Movies Get Right—and Wrong—About Washington

Like most people, you probably finished season two of “House of Cards” weeks ago. One of the things that draws GW students especially to this addictive show is its portrayal of D.C. If you haven’t gotten your fix of seeing our city onscreen, listen to Mike Canning, author of “Hollywood on the Potomac: How the Movies View Washington, D.C.,” discuss the longtime relationship between the city and moviemakers. He’ll talk gaffes and challenges to filming in D.C. and show memorable clips of Washington on the silver screen throughout the decades. This is set to be the perfect talk for both film buffs and political junkies.

Tuesday, Feb 25, 6:45 pm to 8:15 pm. Eugene & Agnes E. Meyer Auditorium, Freer Gallery of Art, 12th & Independence Ave., SW (Enter on Independence Avenue side). 

Tickets: $20.