Dan Grover: It’s okay that D.C. is a bad city to find love

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons
Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Dan Grover, a sophomore majoring in English and creative writing, is a Hatchet columnist.

I won’t lie. I spent Valentine’s Day with “House of Cards” and a bag of Reese’s hearts. The single life is never more pungent than on Valentine’s Day, but I can bet that I wasn’t the only one on campus celebrating alone. That could be because, according to a new research from Facebook, D.C. is the second-worst city in the entire country for dating.

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons
Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

What that really means is that there were a whole lot of singles out there, all happily eating a tub of Phish Phood ice cream and binging on Netflix with me last Friday. D.C. is apparently only surpassed by San Francisco in terms of soul-crushing loneliness. Looking on the bright side, at least we didn’t come in dead last.

I’m going to discount the incredibly reliable and thorough research method – that is, using Facebook relationship statuses to discern how often people were pairing off – and suggest this: Who cares if D.C. is one of the worst cities for love? I can have hundreds of meaningless interactions with the other singles in the District and be just fine.

Let’s be honest: No study about the depressingly low statistics about my chances for love in this city will make me rethink my decision to come to school here. The District is a city full of focused individuals with professional and academic goals. Maybe that’s why we don’t have the time to get bogged down in the dramatic messiness of a relationship.

And it’s not like there’s anything inherently bad in the high number of single people here – all it means is that there’s a latent dating pool in the area. A sea ripe for fishing.

Honestly, for people without a Valentine’s Day date like me, a bunch of single people all within a few blocks of one another sounds like a better deal than being surrounded by people in committed relationships. So maybe the results of this survey, which show that a ton of people are single here, isn’t such a bad thing at all. After all, singles have all the fun.

More than anything, it seems that all this study has deduced is that the District isn’t a city for settling down in, but, when compared to cities that have high rates of coupling like Colorado Springs, San Antonio, or Fort Worth, that makes sense. Those cities are ripe with a traditionalist sentiment that makes coupling worthwhile. D.C. has a voracious youth scene that doesn’t let itself to the same need for serious relationships.

So buck up singles! Don’t let the season get you down. After all, you aren’t alone. Apparently, the entire city is just as single as you are.