Professor of 50 years remembered for ‘gentlemanly manner and unfailing wit’

Media Credit: Photo courtesy of the philosophy department.

Philosophy professor William Griffith liked to say that one of the University’s bright spots was a strong history of faculty governance – giving teachers and researchers a loud voice in forging GW’s path.

But few professors had as heavy an impact on that governance as Griffith himself. The 77-year-old, who served multiple terms as philosophy department chair, died Feb. 10 from a brain injury, leaving behind a half-century of teaching students and sparring with administrators on the Faculty Senate.

One of the longest-serving members of the Faculty Senate, Griffith worked closely with former University President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg, who described him as a “great servant of the University.”

He said Griffith saw the University as both his vocation and his hobby – a nonstop job – and faculty trusted him to take on leadership positions.

“If Franklin Roosevelt had been a member of the GW faculty, Bill Griffith would have beaten him,” Trachtenberg said. “We won’t see his like again, and he clearly will be missed. He was a man who added value wherever he went.”

Griffith, the director of the University’s philosophy and social policy graduate program, had been recovering from several torn ligaments in his kneecap before he fell last month, which caused brain trauma, according to a release from the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences.

He began teaching in 1964 – serving though the tenures of five University presidents. He is survived by his wife Patricia Griffith, who teaches creative writing, contemporary drama and dramatic writing at GW.

Griffith served as chair of the executive and budget committees throughout his time on the senate, advocating against hiring and budget cuts, a new academic credit system and space constraints.

Roy Guenther, the former executive associate dean of the Columbian College who retired in December, said Griffith’s death “represents literally the end of an era.”

“His service to the University in so many ways was dedicated and sincere to a degree that is not often encountered,” Guenther said.

Economics professor Anthony Yezer, who worked with Griffith on the Faculty Senate budget committee, said Griffith acted as a bridge between the faculty and the administration and between departments. He was able to explain the academic goals of faculty, from physics research to writing poetry, to people unfamiliar with a discipline.

Griffith was also known for reconciling differing positions with grace.

“He had a twinkle in his eye. He had a smile on his face. He could take a tense situation and diffuse it with a little subtle humor,” Yezer said.

The Faculty Senate leader and the University president had an “arms-length relationship” in public, but Trachtenberg said the pair became friends in private as they met over meals to discuss issues and ease tension between faculty and the administration.

“He influenced my thinking and my behavior as president, and that obviously had an impact on the University, and decisions that were made continue and will continue long after his passing,” Trachtenberg said.

Trachtenberg said Griffith never hesitated to offer his opinion and would always act as “a spokesman for the professorial perspective,” advocating for small seminar rooms when Trachtenberg wanted to build big classrooms.

Griffith specialized in ethics and policy, economic justice and social and political philosophy.

The University will also rename an annual lecture after Griffith to honor him, philosophy department chair Gail Weiss said Monday.

Griffith, who held an endowed position as Elton professor of philosophy and public policy, earned his Ph.D. from Yale University in 1963. He joined the GW faculty one year later, after serving in the U.S. Army.

“Renowned and much loved for his wise counsel, calm and even keel, gentlemanly manner, and unfailing wit, Bill was continually sought out by students, colleagues, and administrators for mentoring and advice,” a Columbian College release read. “Bill Griffith will be remembered by legions of students for his kind but firm guidance, his wide-ranging knowledge, and high standards.”

Derek Malone-France, executive director of the University Writing Program, said Griffith was one of the first faculty members he met about 10 years ago when he came to the University as an assistant professor. He said Griffith had a “strong presence” in the University, and was one of the most resilient voices in favor of faculty governance, unafraid to speak firmly when he thought it was necessary.

Malone-France said Griffith was also devoted to students as the University underwent “profound changes” throughout the past few decades.

“[He was] very active all the way up until the end of his life as someone who cared deeply about the University and the educational experiences of the students here,” he said. “He was certainly no small part in contributing to the life of undergraduates and graduates in the College of Arts and Sciences.”

Griffith received the Oscar and Shoshana Trachtenberg Prize for Service, awarded to tenured faculty who actively participate in institutional governance, in 1993.

Cynthia Harrison, a history and women’s studies professor, served on committees with Griffith that addressed the University’s master’s program in public policy.

“Bill Griffith knew the rules of order better than anyone, and for the time he was at the University, I think you couldn’t hold a meeting unless Bill was there,” Harrison said. “He was a very kind and very smart and very thoughtful person who always ensured that everybody had a chance to speak.”

Patricia Griffith said that five days before her husband passed away, their daughter Flannery gave birth to the couple’s first grandchild, Milah. William Griffith had the chance to see his granddaughter before he died.

She said the philosophy department is now compiling a book with notes about William Griffith for her family.

“He loved what he did and he never got discouraged about it. And his teaching evolved and got more and more attuned to the situation of our times,” Patricia Griffith said. “He was a wonderful teacher and a lovely man, and I will miss him tremendously.”

– Zaid Shoorbajee and Cory Weinberg contributed reporting