This week’s best and worst

Justin Peligri, a junior majoring in political communication, is The Hatchet’s opinions editor.

Thumbs Down:

Believe it or not, it is already time to pick housing for next year. Looking for a place to live is always exciting – but also stressful, especially when students start thinking about how they’re going to pay the bill.

Here’s the bad news: With the exception of two on-campus housing options, prices increased across the board.

The story is especially dire for people who will end up living in Mitchell and Fulbright halls – formerly some of the cheapest options on campus –  which increased by about 12 percent compared to last year.

This frustrating news comes after an intense lobbying effort from Student Association President Julia Susuni last fall who presented a report to the Board of Trustees, pointing out that on-campus housing is oftentimes significantly more expensive than many off-campus apartment buildings.

We get it: The University is in the midst of construction on a $130 million residence hall – and continually renovating other buildings – and needs all the money it can get from student room and board costs to buoy the undertaking.

But the University needs to make sure that prices are in line with other options in Foggy Bottom. It’s concerning that administrators seem to be going in the opposite direction.

Thumbs Up: The University

Happy Valentine’s Day! As if Whole Foods wasn’t crowded on an average afternoon, lines are likely longer than usual today as GW students pick up last minute bouquets and bottles of wine for their special someones.

But if you don’t have a snuggle buddy, here’s a reason to keep your head high: The University posted a series of hilarious graphics this afternoon for Valentine’s Day. It’s not every day that GW leaders have a sense of humor, but the pictures posted on GW’s Facebook page today are nothing short of brilliant. Woefully corny, but still brilliant.