GW will create database to list sanctions against student organizations

Student organizations caught violating the University’s code of conduct will soon be made public in an online database, which could launch as early as this year.

Administrators are still in talks with student leaders about details of the site, which University spokesman Dave Andrews said would allow the Center for Student Engagement to be “more transparent.”

Officials have not said when the site could go live. Greek life director Christina Witkowicki first informed a group of Greek life presidents about the University’s plan last semester.

The move comes after two Greek chapters were slapped with hazing violations over the last few weeks, with Alpha Epsilon Pi losing its charter and Sigma Delta Tau losing its townhouse as a result.

Kasey Packer, president of GW’s Panhellenic Association, said she had not heard the site mentioned since November. All student organizations who break University policies would be listed on the database, Andrews said. But leaders of about six student organizations – including the College Democrats, GW’s largest student group – said they had not been informed of the plan.

Beta Theta Pi president Matt Zahn said he has not been part of conversations about the site since last fall. At last month’s Greek leadership retreat, Zahn said administrators dismissed questions raised by other Greek presidents about what information would be included on the site.

“It’s disappointing to see that the concerns of the larger Greek community about the specifics of this plan are falling on deaf ears,” Zahn said.

Zahn warned that providing certain information online, like which chapters are on social probation, may be “unrepresentative” of that organization because of rapidly changing membership.

“It’s one thing to see ‘Social Probation,’ but it’s another thing to see it with an explanation that puts the sanction into context as to why it is there.” he said.

Student Association president Julia Susuni said she plans to meet with administrators next week to talk about the plan in more detail.