GW slips in Peace Corps’ ranking of top volunteer-producing colleges

Julie Hyman, a 2010 alumna, volunteered two years ago for the Peace Corps in Namibia, where she helped build a community library. Photo courtesy of Stephen Chapman
The University dropped one slot in the Peace Corps’ list of colleges that produce the most volunteers this year, falling to the No. 4 position and marking the second year the number of volunteers has declined.

With 41 alumni serving in the Peace Corps across the world, GW came in behind Western Washington University, University of Virginia and American University in the medium colleges and universities category. Fifty-three GW alumni were volunteering overseas last year, down from 78 the previous year.

American University and the University of Virginia beat out GW by two and three volunteers, respectively.

GW held the No. 1 spot for four years before falling to No. 3 last year. About 1,140 alumni have joined the Peace Corps since the program was established in 1961, according to a release.

Among D.C. universities, American University boasted 43 volunteers, while 27 volunteers graduated from Georgetown University. Howard University had 18 alumni.

Chloe Lew, who earned a bachelor’s degree in international affairs from GW in 2010, volunteers with the Peace Corps today in Nicaragua, where she created a program that sends sexual and reproductive health information to young people via text message.

“Some things cannot be taught in a classroom. Nor can they be learned in a standard post-graduate job,” Lew said in the release. “Peace Corps is a unique opportunity to compliment your education with practical experience in a challenging, cross-cultural setting.”

Check out the rest of the top-10 medium-sized schools:

1) Western Washington University (65 volunteers)
2) University of Virginia (44)
3) American University (43)
4) The George Washington University (41)
5) Cornell University (29)
5) The University of Vermont (29)
7) Georgetown University (27)
8) Boston College (25)
9) University of Idaho (24)
9) Tufts University (24)

Take a look at the complete list of top colleges of all sizes here.