Junior is only female running for a top SA position

A two-year member of the Student Association executive cabinet formally announced Monday she would run for executive vice president.

Junior Avra Bossov is the only female running for one of the SA’s top positions this year and is one of four students vying for the second-in-command role.

If elected, she pledged to transform the senate’s bi-weekly meetings into public forums by inviting officials and students.

“When issues come up, there can be more of a direct dialogue between the administration and students and the SA really is that bridge, literally and figuratively,” she said.

Bossov, currently deputy chief of staff to SA President Julia Susuni, said she will also focus on improving the GW alert system by lobbying administrators like Darrell Darnell, senior associate vice president for safety and security, to more quickly warn students about threats on and around campus.

As a member of Susuni’s team that successfully lobbied administrators to move Student Health Services to campus this year, Bossov pledged to help facilitate the move. She additionally hopes to improve the office’s quality by pushing GW to hire more staff.

To expand career services, she said she wants to engage alumni in more fields through events that appeal to younger students, unlike happy hours that the office often hosts.

She said her two years on the executive cabinet had prepared her to see the “potential the SA had.”

“Over my past experience in the SA, I believe in its ability to get things done,” Bossov said.

She joins sophomore Paul Lisbon and juniors Chris Stillwell and Ian Crueldad in the race.

Bossov is a member of the Alternative Breaks program, the Alpha Phi Omega community service fraternity and Thurston Hall house staff. She is also a former photographer for The Hatchet.

This post was updated Monday, Feb. 10 at 4:14 p.m. with the following correction:

Due to an editing error, the headline incorrectly stated that Bossov was seeking the Student Association presidency. She is seeking the executive vice presidency. The Hatchet also misidentified Darrell Darnell as the senior vice president for safety and security when he is actually the senior associate vice president for safety and security. We regret these errors.