Cost of attendance breaks $60,000

The University’s highest governing body approved a 3.4-percent cost of attendance hike Friday, bringing the total cost of attendance over $60,000 for the first time next year.

The Class of 2018 will pay an estimated $60,477 for tuition, fees and room and board, marking the seventh straight year of about 3-percent increases.

GW joins a handful of colleges with sticker prices of more than $60,000 – a line first crossed in 2009 by Sarah Lawrence College in Bronxville, N.Y. Schools that also exceed that price include New York University, Boston University and Vanderbilt University.

The Board of Trustees also decided Friday to keep the University’s fixed tuition policy in place for the 10th year, guaranteeing costs for returning students’ tuition would remain the same.

University President Steven Knapp has said since he came to GW in 2007 that he is committed to affordability, making a trip to a White House summit last month on expanding higher education access.

GW has continued to battle its “rich-kid reputation” – as dubbed by a Washington Post story last April, though its net price remains in the middle among its competitor schools at $27,793.

While the admissions office faced flak last fall after revealing that wealthier students had a greater chance of acceptance, it has also enrolled more students from low-income backgrounds. The percentage of students who receive federally funded Pell Grants rising to 14 percent, from 9 percent, over the last four years.

This post as updated Feb. 8, 2014 at 11:25 a.m. to reflect the following:

Correction appended
The Hatchet incorrectly reported that the Board of Trustees approved a 3.4 percent tuition increase. It was a 3.4 percent increase to total cost of attendance, but a 3 percent increase to tuition. We regret the error.