Kappa Alpha receives 22nd Street townhouse

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Brandon Lee.

The Kappa Alpha Order fraternity will move into its first townhouse this fall, taking over space left vacant after another chapter was evicted in December.

The fraternity, which has about 70 members, is one of the fastest growing at GW and already occupies one floor in International House. It will now take over the 22nd Street townhouse that previously housed Alpha Epsilon Pi.

“Having an on-campus townhouse would provide for opportunities to strengthen and cultivate our brotherhood, as well as provide a centralized meeting place for the chapter,” Shawn Rusterholz, president of Kappa Alpha, said in an email.

Greek housing applications require chapters to create risk management plans, present letters of recommendation from their national organization and prove they can maintain 95 percent occupancy of the townhouse.

Other factors included results from the 2013 Chapter Excellence rankings, which rates Greek chapters in categories like academics, philanthropy and leadership.

“I think one of the things that set KA apart during the application process is our clean judicial record with the University,” Rusterholz said.

Alpha Epsilon Pi was booted out of the townhouse in December in wake of hazing, alcohol and drug violations. GW officials also discovered several thousands of dollars worth of damages to the chapter’s townhouse.

The fraternity returned to campus in 2007 after nearly 50 years. It was originally chartered at GW in 1894.

Interfraternity Council president Peyton Zere, who is a member of Kappa Alpha, said moving into a townhouse will make it easier for the group to hold meetings and chapter events.

“The chapter will definitely benefit from this new location,” Zere said.

GW has yet to announce the new occupants of another townhouse that was recently vacated after Sigma Delta Tau was was evicted for hazing last month. There are a total of 14 townhouses dedicated to Greek chapters on campus.

Colleen Murphy contributed reporting

Correction appended
The Hatchet incorrectly referred to International House as Intentional House. We regret the error.