Business school narrows candidates for dean search

biz-school-tuition-duques_JE-1
Duques Hall, home of the GW School of Business. Hatchet File Photo
The GW School of Business will spend this month courting candidates for its next dean, looking to vet the top 10 finalists over the next few weeks.

Those finalists will be invited for on-campus interviews in late March and early April, the committee’s chair, Murat Tarimcilar, said. The committee will then select three candidates from which University President Steven Knapp and Provost Steven Lerman will choose.

The committee was formed quickly last fall after former dean Doug Guthrie was fired for failing to reconcile with top leaders over a $13 million budget gap.

A six-page document outlining the dean’s roles and qualifications, which was provided to The Hatchet this week, stresses managerial experience, strong commitment to global education and the ability to work with faculty, staff and students.

“GW’s culture enables Deans to function with a great deal of autonomy and with a spirit of support, not micromanagement, from University leadership,” the job description said.

The document also lists that “budgeting experience is strongly desired.”

Guthrie’s nearly two-year tenure was also marked by faculty strife, with professors claiming they’d been shut out of GWSB decisions, including to focus on development in China.

Tarimcilar, who is also a professor of decision sciences, pledged to make the hiring process transparent for business school professors and staff.

The search committee – which comprises 16 professors, staff, students and board members – has been working with an outside firm called Isaacson Miller to target top applicants since last fall but started aggressively targeting candidates this month, Tarimcilar said.

In an email to business school faculty last fall, Tarimcilar promised to provide information about the candidates and present updates on the search at faculty meetings.