GW to centralize wireless networks this summer
By Hannah Marr, Assistant News Editor • April 25, 2024
GW to renovate Pelham Commons this summer
By Barry Yao, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

What We’re Watching: ‘That Awkward Moment’

Promo poster for That Awkward Moment. Photo Used Under the Creative Commons License.

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Sucharita Mukherjee.

That Awkward Moment

★★1/2✰✰✰

Promise, possibility, and plenty of eye candy. That just about describes “That Awkward Moment” in its entirety. The movie is successful on a superficial level but with even a little thought, you see flaws.

While the script was funny, filled with witty banter from Zac Efron and Miles Teller’s characters – two young men who’ve vowed to remain single as long as possible – the film lacked any deeper of meaning. In typical rom-com fashion, the few thought provoking lines were sappily delivered by the female leads Mackenzie Davis and Imogen Poots. Although the writer and director Tom Gormican makes an effort to break gender stereotypes with Michael B. Jourdan’s character, a married man with an unfaithful wife, the film remains typical pre-Valentine’s day fodder.

As for the acting, it’s fair to say that this film will not be the start of something new for Efron’s career. While his dead pan delivery and solid timing helped him compete with veteran comedian Teller, he was incapable of emotionally connecting with his on screen romance. It seems Efron is better off flaunting that face as long as he can.

While Teller and Jourdan are relatively new to the screen and have yet to become household names, they proved their ability to carry a film.

The film does its overall job of entertaining and never pretended to be a serious film. It has lovable characters and some hilariously quotable one-liners.

Genre: Romantic Comedy

Director: Tom Gormican

Starring: Zac Efron, Miles Teller, Michael B. Jourdan, Mackenzie Davis and Imogen Poots

Release Date: Jan. 31st