“Next man up:” Shallow, but talented, roster to make up for missing pieces

Media Credit: Hatchet File Photo by Cameron Lancaster | Assistant Photo Editor

Guard Kethan Savage sits on the sidelines last month against George Mason. Savage will sit for the rest of the season.

ARE THEY SUCCEEDING?: The short answer here is yes, absolutely yes. Behind Creek – when he gets back – and now beside Garino, Larsen has been the team’s surefire offensive threat.

“Kevin has come into his own lately. Last year, it would be up and down, up and down, you don’t see that anymore this year,” Armwood said. “So he’s grown up a lot, and he’s basically our best scorer we have in the post, so we’re gonna keep going to him until the season’s over.”

In GW’s past six games, Larsen has averaged double figures in scoring, scoring no less than 14 points in each of those six games, while also improving his rebound average to 6.5 per game in that stretch. Since the Jan 11. game against Rhode Island, Larsen has been shooting 67.8 percent from the field.

On Saturday against Dayton, Larsen scored the first six GW points as the team struggled to find an outside presence. Larsen would finish the game with 14 points and 10 rebounds.

BOTTOM LINE:

The Colonials have proven their resilience this season and have not lost consecutive games all year. In addition, the Colonials will be playing their next two games at home, where they are an undefeated 10-0. GW will play the bottom two teams in the Atlantic 10 in Duquesne on Wednesday (10-10, 2-5) and Fordham (9-12, 2-6) Saturday, giving GW an opportunity to shape their identity without key players before a tough stretch that features VCU, UMass and Saint Louis.