Preview: Women’s basketball vs. URI

THis post was written by Hatchet staff writer Josh Solomon.

Who: GW (14-7, 5-3) vs. Rhode Island (6-15, 1-7)
Where: Smith Center
When: Saturday, Feb. 1 at 2 p.m.

The Rams have lost 43 straight road games. That’s good for the second-longest losing streak in the nation, behind 51 in-a-row for Weber State. Coming into the Smith Center, where the Colonials generally enjoy a strong home-court advantage, Saturday’s game should be a good opportunity for GW to pick up a conference win and work out any offensive kinks with a healthy lineup.

Case for Rhode Island:

Head coach Jonathan Tsipis strategizes and motivates his team during a huddle earlier this season. Hatchet File Photo

Although the Rams have trouble scoring, averaging a conference low 54.0 points per game, they do boast a defense that allows the second-lowest number of points per game in the Atlantic 10 (58.3 points). If Rhode Island can control the pace of the game, then a slow-paced, low-scoring affair could go in their favor.

Freshman Kallie Banker broke out for 16 points in URI’s last game against Fordham. It was a career-high for the 5-foot-10 guard who is averaging 4.4 points per game. This adds a third scoring guard to the mix for the Rams, including their two top scorers – sophomore Tayra Melendez and senior Kerry Wallack – averaging 12.7 and 9.9 points per game, respectively.

If the Rams can add Banker as a viable scoring threat and control the pace, then they’ll have a slim chance of breaking their road losing streak in DC. Plus, if either sophomore Jonquel Jones or graduate student Megan Nipe can’t find their rhythm, the Colonials may struggle out of the gate.

Case for GW:

The Colonials lead the A-10 in offensive rebounding with 17.4 boards per game. Jones and freshman Caira Washington have dominated the glass all season long and should have no difficulty providing second-chance opportunities for GW Saturday.

After a trouncing of Massachusetts on the road, GW should have a full set of confidence heading home – not to mention a fairly healthy lineup. Nipe should see her most effective game yet, potentially reaching the 20-plus point mark.

Look for sophomore Alexis Chandler to break out of her slump, as well. The usual spark plug off the bench, driving and fighting her way to the rim, is averaging just 2.33 points per game in her last three contests. In 16 minutes of action against Massachusetts she went scoreless, although she did pick up three rebounds, one assist and one steal.

By the end of the game – or even by halftime – the Colonials should find themselves with a large lead and hopefully resembling the type of team they want to model the rest of the season.