Get off your bottom: Events off campus this week

Promo poster for The Butler. Meet the author behind the movie at the Newseum this week. Photo used under the Creative Commons License.

Hatchet staff writer Margaret Kahn highlights the top culture events around the District. 

Learn: Inside Media: The Making of ‘Lee Daniels’ The Butler

Before Oprah Winfrey and Forest Whitaker wowed us in the film, Washington Post reporter Wil Haygood wrote a 2008 article on Eugene Allen, the African-American butler who served in the White House for eight presidents. Now Haywood has published “The Butler: A Witness to History,” which discusses both Allen’s remarkable life and Hollywood’s portrayal of African Americans in film. The author will discuss and sign copies of the book.

Sunday 2:30 p.m. Free with regular museum admission ($22.95 + 10 percent student discount, not including tax) Newseum, 555 Pennsylvania Ave, NE.

Watch: Middle Earth Mondays

Lord of the Ring fans and fantasy lovers rejoice, The Black Cat is hosting a free showing of the last installment of the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy this Monday. Catch your favorite hobbits in
“The Return of the King” surrounded by other fans. Costumes are encouraged and there will be LOTR-themed drinks to purchase at the bar. Doors open at 8 p.m.

Monday 8 p.m. The Black Cat, 1811 14th St. NW

Laugh: “The Room” with special guest Tommy Wiseau

If you haven’t seen “The Room” already, you’ve been missing out. It’s known universally as one of the worst films ever made and has gained a devoted cult following because of its all-around terrible storytelling and acting (my personal favorite scene). This movie will be referenced over the course of conversation with any film buff worth his salt. Chanel you inner hipster, and shell out the $20 for an unforgettable evening with Tommy Wiseau, fans, plus an autographed poster that is guaranteed make you the coolest kid on campus. Tickets available online.

Screenings on Friday at midnight, Saturday at midnight,  and Sunday 9 p.m. Landmark E Street Cinema, 555 11th St. NW

Listen: Delorean

So you didn’t get tickets to the Pixies, did you? Neither did I. But fear not, you don’t have to miss out on a dose of catchy alt electronica – check out Delorean, a new EDM band out of Spain . The quartet, touring for their fourth album, “Apar,”makes great beats that will appeal to your indie sensibilities while you dance your ass off.

Saturday, doors open at 9 p.m. The Black Cat, 1811 14th St NW, Tickets: $15

View: In Focus: Ara Güler’s Anatolia

This exhibit, curated by undergraduate students at Johns Hopkins University, highlights breathtaking archeological and historical sights of Turkey. Ara Güler, one of the country’s most beloved photojournalists, took the photos in the 1950s, and they are just now being brought of museum archives.

Open daily, 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, 1050 Independence Avenue, SW. Free.