Business school to require undergraduates to add minor in another college

Media Credit: Hatchet File Photo by Tatiana Cirisano | Hatchet Photographer

Associate professor of marketing Vanessa Perry teaches a business course on consumer behavior. Students getting their bachelor in business administration will need to minor outside the field next year.

GW’s undergraduate business program is No. 71 in the country, according to Bloomberg Businessweek’s annual rankings. Low student satisfaction, No. 99 in the country, has led to slipping rankings in recent years.

Four out of five employers wanted to hire college graduates with a broad liberal arts education, not a narrow business concentration, according to a survey conducted by the Association of American Colleges and Universities last year.

Faculty approved the curriculum for business administration students last month.

Robert Weiner, a professor of international business, said students will benefit from taking classes in more subjects.

“It will be beneficial because business is a part of broader society. Hopefully students will have a broader perspective,” he said.

During the first year at the University, students will have to choose between the business administration program or the bachelor of science degree, which is currently only offered to finance majors.

Sophomore Yasik Loban said he thinks the new curriculum will be “beneficial” for freshmen, giving them more time to declare the focus of study.

“I was going to transfer out of GW because I wanted to double major in the Engineering School and the Business School,” he said.

Still, freshman Megan Gills said students need more direction and guidance, and having so many options might be overwhelming for students.

“No one has really gone over the degrees much while we’ve been here. A lot of it is figuring things out on your own, in my opinion. I wish there was more guidance for freshmen,” she said.

-Mary Ellen McIntire contributed to this report.