Women’s basketball’s Lauren Chase to miss remainder of season

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Josh Solomon.

The women’s basketball team’s Lauren Chase – a junior transfer that has yet to play in a game this season – will miss the remainder of the 2013-14 season with a “personal medical condition,” head coach Jonathan Tsipis announced Friday.

After transferring from UMBC, Chase would have been eligible to play at the end of the fall semester, like sophomore transfer Jonquel Jones. Unlike Jones, though, Chase has not seen any action, nor suited up for any game. Heading into the season, Chase had two years of eligibility remaining.

“It’s unfortunate that Lauren will not be able to play this season,” Tsipis said in a press release. “I know how excited she was to finally put on her GW uniform after transferring from UMBC last winter. I look forward to coaching her next season when she is back to full strength.”

The decision to announce that Chase will miss the rest of the season comes on the heels of the Colonials first conference victory of the season, over George Mason – and win that extended their record to 10-4.

In December, Tsipis announced that sophomore Anjaleace White would seek a transfer from GW. That leaves his squad with 12 players on the roster, 11 active for games, as junior Bria Bourgeois recovers from a torn ACL for the second straight season.

Chase is a 5-foot-5 point guard from Bowie, MD and is a product of Riverdale Baptist – the same high school as Jones. Both players were coached by GW assistant coach Diane Richardson, the former head coach at Riverdale Baptist.

Chase averaged 13.0 points, 3.3 rebounds and 4.3 assists per game in her shortened sophomore season at UMBC. She played eight games before sitting out the rest of the season so she could transfer and play after the fall semester at GW. In her freshman season at UMBC, Chase was named the American East Rookie of the Year as she averaged 8.4 points, 4.6 assists and 3.4 rebounds a game.