Thanks for reading in 2013

There’s a unconscious connection between people who are studying, working or living at GW. Most of us make this place part of our lives because, like the University’s old tagline used to say, “something happens here.” (Now that it’s not part of GW’s official brand, I’ve found that line to be less trite. Maybe it’ll make a comeback.)

Cory Weinberg
Cory Weinberg

We feel the same way at The Hatchet. GW – one of D.C.’s intellectual and commercial centers – is a complex place that we try to document. It’s a community of students, staff, alumni, parents and Foggy Bottom residents full of competing interests, amazing stories and big ambitions for GW. And it’s a $2 billion business in the shifting higher education industry and booming U.S. capital. There are high stakes all around us, and it’s exciting.

We’re in the middle of our 110th year as GW’s student newspaper and our 20th year of independence. In 2013, our print edition went weekly, our coverage earned national recognition, and you visited our site more than ever before.

Thanks for letting us be a part of your news routine, whether you’re bookmarking us, following us on social media, picking up print newspapers or subscribing to our email edition.

We take your trust as a mandate to continue to improve and bring compelling stories into your lives. We do it with a skeptical eye and by holding fire to power because that’s what journalists do and that’s how communities thrive.

Our reporters will strive to be feisty but fair. Our columnists will propose crafty solutions. Our visual team will bring this city to life. We report on things like money, politics, academia, concerts, sex and sports. It’s all on the table, and we try to bring you the right mix so that you stay informed and engaged.

Where do we go from here? In 2014, we’ll have a redesigned website, a new business staff and a new townhouse. But in 2013, I can easily say I’ve had a blast being a part of this community.

I want to hear more and more and more feedback. What do you like about us? What should we be covering? What bugs you about our coverage? (As long as there has been media, there’s been media critics. That’s incredibly healthy.) I’d love my inbox to be jam-packed. I’m at [email protected], or tweet at me @coryweinberg.

Thanks for reading.