“Bracketology” analyst leaves GW out of tournament

Forward Isaiah Armwood dunked against a Bowie State earlier this season. Hatchet File Photo

Trying on your dancing shoes? The season is still young, but the NCAA Tournament wouldn’t include the Colonials if it ended today, an ESPN analyst projected Monday.

Despite also earning five votes in the AP Top 25 poll Monday, Joe Lunardi taps GW as the first team out of the 64-team NCAA tournament bracket. The Colonials along with Xavier, Notre Dame and Stanford were in Lunardi’s “First Four Out”

Good thing it’s only December.

Despite their best start in eight years, the 9-1 Colonials were unable to crack Lunardi’s bracket while four other Atlantic 10 Conference teams made the cut (St. Louis, Dayton, VCU, and UMass). UMass was the highest rated A-10 team carrying a projected No. 6 seed.

Notably, three teams that GW has beat so far in preseason play (Creighton, Maryland and Manhattan) also all made Lunardi’s list.

Unfortunately for GW, a potential win against their next opponent, the UMBC Retrievers (3-8) will not increase their postseason resume. But with much tougher opponents in Kansas State and Georgia to follow, the Colonials will have plenty of opportunities to continue to make a case for tournament bid based on an impressive non-conference record.