On trip to Brazil, journalism students will report on World Cup

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Elise Lee.

A group of journalism students will learn how to cover one of the world’s biggest sporting events next summer: the World Cup.

Imani Cheers, a newly hired professor in the School of Media and Public Affairs, will take up to 14 students to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, where she said students will learn how to convey the power of the World Cup games through multimedia reporting.

The course is one of SMPA’s first classes on sports journalism. The students will shoot videos and photos to ultimately produce an e-magazine.

Students will join a group of about 20 graduate business school students taught by Lisa Delpy Neirotti, an associate professor of tourism and sports management. Together, the students will study how cities like Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo prepared for the games and how they will use its facilities after the games.

Delpy Neirotti also led a group of students to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, where they studied the tournament’s impact on a developing country. She regularly brings students to the Olympics to study the games.

Cheers, who also took a pair of students to Africa last summer for a multimedia reporting project, asked Delpy Neirotti to join her at the games because of her deep interest in international reporting.