Student life official says she was shortchanged on pay

The second-in-command of GW’s parent services office is suing the University for allegedly violating federal labor laws by failing to pay her outstanding overtime wages.

Debbie Kirksey, who has worked at GW for two and half decades, claims the University shortchanged her on overtime pay for two years because of a misclassification. GW acknowledged that she was due those wages in November 2012, but Kirksey contends she was only paid back one-third of what the University owed her.

In her Nov. 19 complaint, she argues that GW’s payments were “not calculated correctly” because they didn’t cover the whole period and didn’t account for interest. Kirksey also asserts that her employers paid her half-time though she deserved time-and-a-half for regularly working more than 40 hours a week. The complaint did not specify the amount of money she maintains she is owed.

Kirksey declined a request to comment Monday, and her attorney, Dan Getman, did not return a request to comment in time for publication. University spokeswoman Michelle Sherrard declined to comment on the pending litigation.

Kirksey claims her employers’ failure to pay her was “intentional, willful, and in bad faith, and has caused significant damages” to her. She previously worked in GW Housing and the Student Activities Center.

The University’s website describes Kirksey as “the glue which holds the Office of Parent Services together” and the head of day-to-day functions. She has one daughter attending GW and one daughter who is an alumna.

Her lawyers listed the case as related to a lawsuit brought by David Driscoll, a former GW employee who has claimed the University owes him and others overtime pay from 2011. He also alleged he was unjustly fired from GW’s Office of Teaching and Learning.

The same attorneys who are representing Driscoll are representing Kirksey.