The search for the best gluten-free dishes

Whether you avoid gluten because your doctor says so or it’s just a personal preference, these local restaurants have begun crafting their menus around the gluten-free trend.

Zalouk at Figs Mediterranean Café Carmen Paulson | Hatchet Photographer

Figs Mediterranean Café
4828 MacArthur Boulevard (across from the Safeway)

Hidden below street level, Figs Mediterranean Café stands as a vibrant hangout spot for Mount Vernon Campus residents and local Palisades residents.

A Mediterranean restaurant doesn’t seem like a spot that gluten-free students would visit – bulgur salads, orzo and baklava come to mind – but Figs is one of the most gluten-free-friendly places in town.

Try the flavorful zaalouk, a braised eggplant dish with sweet spices. As in every Figs dish, a blend of flavoring accentuates the vegetables. It is a subtle touch, but the eggplant is transformed into a delicious hot dish. The zaalouk goes great with their famous baked sweet potato.

“Everyone has different allergies nowadays. Now everyone is becoming aware so we try to cater to vegetarians, people that eat meat and also have options for those that are gluten-free,” said manager Isaiah Franck.

Using locally grown food, Moroccan chef Khadija Banouas creates a special that is gluten-free almost every week.

“I’ve seen steadily more and more people asking if there’s anything gluten-free and we slowly start adding a little more items to cater to certain people,” Franck said.

In the past, the café has been a popular destination for Vernies, and Figs is trying to create a coffee shop atmosphere that will attract the newer GW students. They currently provide 10 percent off all dishes for GW students and are in the process of becoming a Colonial Cash partner. Franck will also soon set up a delivery service catering to the Vern.

Café Sorriso
2311 Calvert St. NW
Woodley Park/Adams Morgan

Café Sorriso is a quaint and welcoming Italian café where everyone is treated like a part of the family.

Describing himself as the “quasi-manager,” Tony Mason helps the Polles family out on weekends. Being one of the few completely family-owned restaurants in the area, the classy café has gained a steady amount of regulars.

All of the sandwiches, breakfast items, pastas, meat and salads can be served gluten-free. The Sorriso chefs handpick the best quality gluten-free brands, understanding that all options are not made equal.

“There are generally people out there that are allergic to [gluten] but I think for most people that we are seeing, it’s just part of their diet,” said Mason.

It’s hard to believe the Penne al Pesto – a zesty mix with veggies and basil straight out of the Polles garden – is gluten-free, since the texture of the pasta is both filling and firm. The pesto sauce on top is unique and authentic.

Ann Hollick, a Sorriso regular who has celiac disease, started coming to the café before she was aware of her gluten-intolerance. She visits four or five times a week and has become close to the family.

“Pietro [Polles]’s wife is also gluten-free, and that’s why the gluten-free stuff is on the menu,” said Hollick, pointing to the owner watching a Manchester game in pajamas.

Firefly
1310 New Hampshire Ave. NW

The restaurant offers a gluten-free menu for every occasion, changing all of their options 12 times a year with the seasonal and local produce. Chef Shane Graybeal says he loves the challenge of working with customers’ various diets and restrictions.

“If we’re creating a [gluten-free] dish, we want to create something that’s exciting, not just to…someone with a gluten intolerance, but to someone without,” Graybeal said.

The chefs at Firefly started catering to gluten restrictions when a previous chef’s wife developed a gluten intolerance.

Graybeal worked in the industry for 10 years before he had his first encounter with a gluten-free guest. He said people, in general, are eating healthier and are becoming more aware of their gluten intake.

Try the eggplant and lentil moussaka with smoked roma tomato sauce. This mushroom-garnished dish will please even the most dedicated of meat-eaters. Finish the meal off with Firefly’s acclaimed ice cream sandwich of the day.

The philosophy that Firefly follows when making a gluten-free dish is what Graybeal calls “purist.” They don’t believe in offering substitutes such as gluten-free bread, instead converting a wrap to a lettuce wrap or serving a burger without the buns. The chefs have started to experiment with different gluten-free starches and flours for dishes that used to contain gluten. They work with their guests to come up with a dish satisfying to for them.