Herman Cain: ‘Stupid people are ruining America’

This post was written by Hatchet report Lexie Farkash

Two years after his failed presidential bid, the man behind the “9-9-9” tax plan returned to campus Monday with his latest fixes for what he called America’s broken government.

Media Credit: Nicole Radivilov | Hatchet Photographer
Herman Cain, a 2012 presidential candidate, speaks to a crowd of conservatives on Monday at 1957 E Street.

The former Godfather Pizza executive and radio talk-show host Herman Cain delivered stinging criticism of the nation’s weak political leadership during an event organized by GW College Republicans and Young America’s Foundation.

“Stupid people are ruining America. Stay involved, and stay inspired,” Cain said, rousing a crowd of young conservatives. “Part of the problem is that our current political leaders lack the political will to solve the problem.”

The Tea Party activist urged the crowd to be engaged in politics – but cautioned students against reading what he described as left-leaning media outlets like The New York Times and The Washington Post.

Tying in his experience as CEO of a national pizza chain, Cain encouraged the conservative political hopefuls to take note of his latest three-point plan – this time an acronym – W.A.R.

“Work on the right problem, Ask the right questions and Remove the barriers,” Cain said, offering a solution for both business and government.

He emphasized that the U.S. government should be run like a business – a point he hammered home during the 2012 campaign when he played up his business experience.

That business experience and a catchy “9-9-9” tax plan that galvanized his Tea Party base propelled Cain to become the Republican frontrunner in October 2011. But his solid resume faded after multiple sexual harassment allegations against Cain surfaced just as his campaign was gaining momentum.

In what was perhaps a reference to the allegations that collapsed his campaign, Cain said he was disillusioned with the “dirty politics” involved in running for national office.

Cain also used his podium as an opportunity to criticize the “socialist-leaning” Affordable Care Act and again tout his “9-9-9” tax plan.

Despite his partisan rhetoric, Cain reminded the crowd that political identity is secondary.

“Nobody is a Republican or Democrat, we are all Americans first.”