Women’s volleyball beats Fordham for ninth win in 10 games

Senior outside hitter Rachael Goss makes a play during Friday's match against Fordham. Andrew Goodman | Hatchet Photographer
Senior outside hitter Rachael Goss makes a play during Friday’s match against Fordham. Andrew Goodman | Hatchet Photographer

This post was written by contributing sports editor Sean Hurd

The Colonials made it look easy Friday afternoon by beating a struggling Fordham team in straight sets (25-12, 25-22, 25-13).

Friday’s victory marks the fourth straight win for a Colonials team that has now won nine of its last 10 and sits tied for second with Duquesne in the Atlantic 10 standings.

GW quickly took control the match and was able to dictate the pace of the game comfortably against a Fordham team who entering the game had lost 11 of their last 17.

The Colonials hit .318 on the afternoon, capped by a .423 attack percentage in the third and final set.

The Colonials were met with a little adversity in the second set when head coach Amanda Ault decided to switch her lineup on the floor, which caused the energy to drop on the GW side of the ball and gave an opportunity for the Rams to creep back into contention opening up a lead as large as four.

GW was able to regain it’s composure and rally back from the four-point deficit by taking 10 of the next 13 points. The Colonials would eventually take the set by three.

“I switched some things and I think it took more of an effect on us than I think it should have,” Ault said. “I like the fact that they figured out a way to pull it out.”

GW was led by freshman middle blocker Chidima Osuchukwu on the attacking front who posted 10 kills without a single error. Osuchukwu finished the game hitting .769.

Junior middle blocker Gabrial Rushton led all players with five block assists and a solo block while sophomore libero Maddy Doyle led all players with 13 assists.

“I think it was just really important to take care of business at home,” said senior middle blocker Jamie Armstrong. Armstrong would finish the match with four kills, three digs and three block assists.

Despite the comfortable victory, Friday’s match was an important one for the Colonials, who will host URI Sunday in their last match at the Smith Center before the A-10 Championships. In their last meeting on Oct. 6, the Colonials squeaked out a five-set victory that would eventually propel them to a five-game win streak, their longest streak of the season.

“They’re a good team, they are definitely somebody that we need to come in focused and stay on top of our game,” Ault said “I think we are playing pretty well right now. There are some things we need to tighten up and take care of especially from today, but I think that they also see that this is their last match at the Smith Center before the A-10 tournament.”

The Colonials will take the floor Sunday afternoon against Rhode Island at 1 p.m.