Police charge man with severely beating part-time professor

Police charged a 38-year-old man Friday with beating a part-time professor almost to death near Dupont Circle last weekend.

James Brown of Southeast, D.C. was arrested for aggravated assault after he allegedly attacked Jason Chambers, a fencing instructor in the department of exercise science, on Oct. 27.

Chambers, 39, was taken to GW Hospital, where he remains on life support. The Metropolitan Police Department assigned homicide detectives to the case because of the seriousness of Chambers’ injuries.

D.C. Superior Court scheduled a preliminary hearing for Brown for Tuesday, filing an order for Brown to stay away from Chambers.

Officers responded to a report of an assault near the intersection of S Street and Connecticut Avenue around 4:15 a.m., where they found the professor “almost motionless” on the sidewalk. Chambers was “unable to communicate and provide details of the assault,” according to a police report.

Security footage showed that after Chambers left a bar dressed in a Halloween costume, a man dragged him out of the street and onto the sidewalk, News 4 reported.

Brown, a delivery man, was reportedly working at the time and had fled before officers arrived.

Lynn Goldman, the dean of the School of Public Health and Health Services, said in a statement Thursday that she and the college “send our well wishes to Jason.”