Don’t get the ‘Rocky Horror’ jokes? A guide to the call-outs

Sam Hardgrove | Hatchet Photographer
Sam Hardgrove | Hatchet Photographer

Rocky Horror Callouts from The GW Hatchet on Vimeo.

Trixies and trannies decked in six-inch heels and risqué lingerie will soon dance their way through the Marvin Center Grand Ballroom with a cross-dressing mad scientist and an innocent pair of newlyweds.

Forbidden Planet Productions presents its 19th annual “Rocky Horror Picture Show” Nov. 7 to 9, a production that stars its audience just as much as its outrageous cast.

“Without the audience participation, it’s just this really weird, quirky, cult spoof film,” said freshman Roger Jeannotte, who plays Brad Majors. “It’s different every time. People wouldn’t be going for 10 years just to see a show with the same plot.”

Audience members yell call-outs throughout the performance, interacting with the cast to break the fourth wall of theatre. Whether you’ve done the Time Warp for years or are just about to lose your “Rocky Horror” virginity, study this list of the cast’s top five call-outs to get ready for the show.

Media Credit: Sam Hardgrove | Hatchet Photographer
From left, sophomore Emily Alexander, senior JoJo Speranza, and freshman Mali Zaken, playing Magenta, Dr. Frank N. Furter, and Columbia respectively, stand over Rocky, played by junior Harry Paterra.

1. “Rocky or the audience?”

“My favorite call line is ‘Rocky or the audience?’ It’s right before ‘Touch-a, Touch-a, Touch me,’ which is a song that I sing with Rocky. I look at Rocky and then I look at the audience and I smile, and it’s turned into kind of, ‘Who are you going to have sex with, Rocky or the audience?’ I pick the audience in the end.”
– Freshman Emily Carlin, who plays Janet Weiss

2. “If you’re gonna eat my boyfriend, at least use a fork.”
“It’s a scene when they’re being served dinner, and [the food] is one of the characters that’s been killed, but no one knows, and Rocky is eating with his hands.”
– Jeannotte, who plays Brad Majors

3. “Three more Doritos”
“It’s not that mainstream of a call line and I don’t think anyone finds this as funny as I do, but there’s a point where Frank-N-Furter asks one of his assistants to turn up the power three more levels. And each of the level indicators looks like a little Dorito, so [the audience] yells, ‘three more Doritos!’ I think that is the most hilarious thing I’ve ever heard. I love Doritos. Cool Ranch and Nacho Cheese. Inter-crunch marriage should be legal.”
– Junior Harry Paterra, who plays Rocky

4. “Audience at a GW basketball game”
“They show an empty audience at the end of the movie.”
– Freshman Mali Zaken, who plays Columbia

5. “I’ve seen the ‘Rocky Horror Picture Show’ too many fucking times”
“It’s during one of the final songs. It’s Frank’s really strong ballad, and it’s one of the most beautiful songs in the show. He sings “I’ve seen…blue skies.” And in the pause between, the audience yells, ‘The Rocky Horror Show too many fucking times!’”
– Junior Connor James, director