Hatchet earns first place in pair of national awards

A photo slideshow on GW's student dance showcase, Danceworks, earned first place. | Zach Krahmer
A photo slideshow, “DanceWorks,” by former Hatchet photographer Zach Krahmer earned first place.
The Hatchet was named best non-daily newspaper in the country for the first time since 2011 in this year’s Associated Collegiate Press competition.

The paper earned the organization’s national pacemaker award, one of the highest marks in college journalism, along with 10 other non-dailies. Led by former editor in chief Priya Anand, the paper beat out 22 finalists across the country.

Former Hatchet staff photographer Zach Krahmer also earned the top prize for his photo package on the student performance showcase called DanceWorks.

The Hatchet’s editor in chief Cory Weinberg also earned third place in the Reporter of the Year award, the first time the paper has placed in that category. His stories included an analysis of GW’s half-billion dollar construction projects, the inflated admissions data that landed GW in national scrutiny, and a near coup within the GW Law School.

The Hatchet took home the Newspaper Pacemaker award in 2005, 2008 and 2011 and the Online Pacemaker Award in 2006, 2008 and 2010. It was also named a finalist in 2012.

Entries are judged on coverage and content, quality of writing and reporting, leadership on the opinion page, evidence of in-depth reporting, layout and design and photography, art and graphics.