Fitz and the Tantrums energize crowds at sold-out Halloween set

Fitz and the Tantrums will played two sold-out shows at 9:30 Club Oct. 30 and 31. Photo courtesy of BB Gun Press.

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Margaret Kahn.

Adorned in vibrant costumes, hundreds of concert-goers packed 9:30 Club for Fitz and the Tantrums’ sold out show Thursday night.

Attendees donned their finest and wackiest outfits, with the winners of the night’s costume contest going to Beaker the Muppet, a giant squirrel and Ash Ketchum.

Opener Capital Cities, dressed in adult onesies, met a surprisingly adoring crowd who jumped, screamed and knew the lyrics to songs aside from their poppy, trumpet-driven hit “Safe and Sound.” After an animated set that fused brass with bouncy synths, they welcomed Fitz and the Tantrums.

The band kicked off the night with “Don’t Gotta Work It Out,” a chord-heavy retro hit, then appeased both old and newcomer fans by delving into older tracks and singles from their newest album, “More Than Just a Dream.” Upbeat new songs like “Break the Walls” and whistle-driven “The Walker” drew on the band’s signature peppy, rhythmic tonality, and their encore performance of the scream-inducing “MoneyGrabber” was just as lively and energizing.

Singer and tambourine player Noelle Scaggs’ incessant energy completely stole the show. I don’t think I saw her stay immobile for longer than a second all night — she was too busy dancing to stop. Scaggs’ strong R&B-tinged vocals proved she’s beyond humming doo-wop “ooh wee ooh”s behind Fitz.

Lead singer Michael Fitzpatrick — the band’s namesake “Fitz — was a bit disappointing in comparison. While his voice was flawless, he seemed visibly tired and a bit distracted, half-heartedly miming the choreographed dance moves with the rest of the band. “He’s barely making it,” a concertgoer murmured. If he had stolen just one percent of Scaggs’ energy, it would have been a perfect show.