GW gets The Onion treatment

It’s been a rough couple of weeks for GW’s public image. Now, the kings of satire are piling on.

Dean of Student Affairs Peter Konwerski, seen here on his iPad, got The Onion treatment Wednesday. Hatchet File Photo

GW was lampooned in a Wednesday story in The Onion as a school that announced it had “unveiled a new media center every single month for the last five years.”

The satire – a take on the higher education arms race, rising college costs and universities’ PR obsession – even dragged Dean of Student Affairs Peter Konwerski into the joke.

“This ultramodern facility will also feature dozens of video projectors, music practice rooms, and a 450-seat auditorium that dwarfs the nearby Clayton Media Center’s 350-seat auditorium. It will ensure that our student body has full access to all the conveniences they require, while also allowing GW to remain competitive with other colleges that are adding their own media centers,” the story quotes fake Konwerski (not to be confused with @FakePeterK).

Of course, the new media center would force GW to raise tuition by $6,000 next year.

But modern facilities, practice rooms and auditoriums… doesn’t that sound a bit like what students want anyway? See: Gelman renovation and student space fight.

Maybe the joke’s on us, too.