Men’s soccer rallies to win pivotal A-10 game in overtime

Freshman midfielder Tobi Adewole chases after Fordham junior Eric Walano in GWs 2-0 win last week. Adewoles last minute goal extended the game to overtime, where the Colonials were ultimately victorious. Dan Kolonay | Hatchet Photographer
Freshman midfielder Tobi Adewole chases after Fordham junior Eric Walano in GW’s 2-0 win last week. Adewole’s last minute goal extended the game to overtime, where the Colonials were ultimately victorious. Dan Kolonay | Hatchet Photographer

This post was written by Hatcet reporter David Plotnick.

There GW was again. Locked in another tie. It was GW’s third game to reach double-overtime in a month, and another tie wouldn’t do much to help the Colonials in the A-10 standings.

But in the 104th minute at Rhode Island, sophomore Eddie Painter put those worries to rest. After a turnover at midfield, Painter took an assist from Adewole, juked a defender and  and lasered a shot just under the crossbar for a winning goal and his first goal of the season.

The win improved GW’s record to 5-6-2, 2-0-2, and maintains their undefeated record in the conference. The Colonials also jumped to fourth place in the conference standings, a favorable position to be in with only four games left in the regular season.

Coming off of their first win against Fordham in the last six games, the Colonials were looking to improve their record in the conference. So far, GW had tied both Dayton and Saint Louis, but stood at only fifth in the conference standings.

In Friday’s matchup with the Rams, GW’s defense was quickly tested and in only 10 minutes of play, URI’s Adam Camillo had scored the first point of the game to put his team up 1-0.

The remaining 79 minutes went scoreless, until, in the last minute of regulation, freshman Tobi Adewole scored his first goal of the season off an assist by senior Bailey Hinners. Adewole headed the ball in to the left post to tie URI 1-1 with 43 seconds to go.

GW will now head Sunday to UMass, a team that’s 1-3 in the A-10 and 2-11-1 overall.