Men’s golf has best showing of fall season

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Alex Kist.

Led by senior Graham Lawyer’s career-low of three-under 68, the men’s golf team fired its best overall score of the fall season on the final day of the Old Dominion/OBX Collegiate Tournament.

Delaney Walsh | Photo Editor
Delaney Walsh | Photo Editor

The Tuesday total of 285 was also the Colonials best round since they shot back-to-back scores of 284 to win the Atlantic 10 Championship two years ago. Even with the strong round-three showing, scores of 308 and 298 over the first two rounds pushed the Colonials to the back of the pack with a T-14 finish out of 18 teams.

“I’m very proud of how our guys played this week, we made some great stride as a program,” head coach Chuck Scheinost said in a press release. “We put ourselves in much better positions to score this week and gave ourselves good looks with solid wedge play. The difference between yesterday and today is we started to see some of those putts fall.”

VCU took home the tournament title with a three-round score of 843 (294, 278, 271).

Adding to first and second round scores of 82 and 73, respectively, Lawyer finished T-54 – second on the team behind freshman Michael Heda who carded a three-round total of 215 for a T-19 finish. His two rounds of 71 in the first and final rounds were the second and third time the rookie has shot par or better this season.

“Michael played solid all week. He once again led the team in playing smart golf – finding fairways and greens,” Scheinost added.

In addition to Lawyer’s and Heda’s successes, sophomore Michael Helton finished with scores of 77 and 73, also a career low, to keep the Colonials tied with conference rival George Mason in stroke play. Junior Jack Persons also shot a 2-over 73 on Tuesday to finish T-56 at 11-over 224 (75-76-73).

GW returns to competition in Greenville, N.C. this week for ECU’s Pirate Intercollegiate from Oct. 28 to 29.