GW extends early decision deadline

Prospective students now have an extra 10 days to submit their GW applications as technical hiccups continue to disrupt the Common Application process.

The University is pushing back its Early Decision I deadline to Nov. 11 amid fears from both admissions officials and prospective students that some glitches could go unresolved by the initial Nov. 1 deadline. The problems come in GW’s first year relying solely on the Common Application after it nixed its GW Application this fall.

“We’re extending the deadline to eliminate some of the anxiety that students have right now,” Laurie Koehler, GW’s senior associate provost of enrollment management, said.

The Common Application announced Thursday that it resolved two major bugs that were keeping students from submitting their applications, but Koehler said that technical problems continue to affect some students. Issues with the application portal, which was revamped this summer, ranged from print preview malfunctions to submission failure.

“We’re confident that the issues will be resolved [by Nov . 11] and I think if they haven’t, we will work with students individually on a case by case basis,” Koehler said.

Several of GW’s peer schools with Nov. 1 deadlines, including Boston, Duke, Northwestern and Tufts universities, gave students at least an additional week.

“Especially with early decisions students – those are the students who are most excited about GW. We want them to be able to apply,” Koehler said.