Women’s volleyball can’t keep up with Hoyas

Freshman Setter Emily Clemens serves the ball in a game against Georgetown on Thursday at McDonough Arena. The Colonials went on to lose to the Hoyas in three straight sets. Cameron Lancaster | Contributing Photo Editor

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Sean Hurd.

In a match that saw many lineup changes and moving pieces, the women’s volleyball team struggled to find a cohesive rhythm on the floor, dropping their match to crosstown foe Georgetown in straight sets (25-13, 25-21, 25-22) Wednesday.

GW didn’t get its normal offensive production from junior Kelsey Newman, who had just one kill over one set of playing time,and saw its defense falter, allowing GU to hit over .250 percent in every set.

The first set belonged entirely to the Hoyas. The Colonials fell behind early, as the Hoyas were able to push an early 12-2 lead thanks to the work of outside-hitter’s Lauren Saar and Alex Johnson, who had six and eight kills respectively.

Unlike many of their losing sets this season, the Colonials did not give the set away to GU (4-4) due to unforced errors. They were simply outplayed.

GW (3-4) struggled to find solid production on the pin, hitting just .026 for the set. Middle blocker Chidima Osuchukwu, and outside-hitter Rachael Goss led GW with only three kills apiece. Sophomore libero Maddy Doyle led all players with 12 first set digs.

In the second set, the Colonials traded points with the Hoyas, and found themselves trailing GU by just a single point in the middle of the set, 16-15. But GW didn’t have an answer for the hitting duo of Saar and Johnson, who had another solid set for the Hoyas with five and seven kills respectively. Goss led the way for GW with four kills, but with only 10 second set kills as a team, the set went once again to GU. Freshman setter Emily Clemens started the second set of play in place of sophomore transfer Jordan Timmer, tallying eight assists and a service ace for the Colonials.

After the break, GW made one last run at the Hoyas, hoping to mount a comeback like they have done for the majority of their wins this season. GW got out to an early 5-2 lead, but that lead dwindled quickly as GU eventually tied the set up at 10-10. Finding themselves in a four-point hole, down 21-17, Clemens and freshman outside-hitter Loren Williams connected for two straight set and kills to bring the Colonials within two.

Osuchukwu followed with a kill of her own, making it a one point contest. But throughout the night, the Colonials missed the regular early-season production of Osuchukwu, who had just four kills in the non-conference contest.

The Hoyas stopped the threat and rallied for four of the next six points to take the set, and the match, in three straight sets.

Goss led the Colonials with 11 kills in the match, followed by Williams who totaled 10 kills of her own and seven digs. Clemens finished the match with 20 assists in two sets of action, and Doyle led the defense with 17 digs.

The Colonials will look to regain momentum at the Carolina Classic. GW faces No. 18 North Carolina on Friday evening at 7 p.m. before a doubleheader on Saturday against Albany (10:00 a.m.) and James Madison (5:30 p.m.).

Game Note: Senior middle blocker Jamie Armstrong saw action for the first time in six games, Wednesday, after not playing due to a concussion which she suffered during the Colonials season opener against UMD.