Business school selects interim dean to replace Doug Guthrie

christopher kayes
Management professor Christopher Kayes was named the interim dean of the School of Business Wednesday morning. Photo courtesy of GW Media Relations.

The University named a 13-year management professor as the interim School of Business dean Wednesday, about three weeks after administrators fired Doug Guthrie.

Christopher Kayes, an associate professor, will oversee the school until a permanent dean is selected, according to a University release. 

A professor in the business school as well as the College of Professional Studies, Kayes has taught at GW since 2000.

Kayes will take over a business school that was stunned last month when its three-year leader, Guthrie, was abruptly fired. Administrators said that decision was made after Guthrie overspent by $13 million – a quarter of its budget.

He will also steer the school through its accreditation process, with the school’s report due within a month.

Phil Wirtz, the vice dean of programs and education, oversaw the school’s day-to-day operations for the past three weeks. He told faculty at a meeting Monday that he did not want to be the interim dean because he was not the best person to lead the school through accreditation.

Kayes holds a Ph. D. in organizational behavior from Case Western Reserve University and an MBA from Butler University. He studied political science and religious studies at Indiana University.

He did not immediately return a request for comment.