Men’s soccer held silent by NJIT

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Jake Deitcher.

The Colonials entered Sunday’s match against NJIT nursing two straight 2-0 victories and looking for a third straight win, while the Highlanders were still searching for their first victory of the season.

Easy win for GW, right?

Freshman Angel Valencia takes on a defender in an exhibition match earlier this season. Hatchet File Photo by Cameron Lancaster | Contributing Photo Editor

Not quite. NJIT repeatedly attacked the heart of the GW defense, attempting 12 shots over the course of the match, and breaking through for a surprising 1-0 win.

The Highlanders broke through in the 16th minute, taking advantage of the Colonials’ inability to gather a loose ball. Sophomore goalkeeper Jean-Pierre van der Merwe deflected the initial NJIT shot, but the ball ricocheted back into NJIT possession, resulting in an easy goal.

The Colonials would not rebound after facing an early deficit, falling 1-0. The Colonials attempted nine shots over both halves, but could not get any of their three on goal attempts to find the back of the net.

The Highlanders played extremely aggressive, nothing new for GW, but kept the Colonials off their game with an astounding 20 fouls.

GW has yet to play a regular-season game at home, now holding a 2-2 record on the road and at neutral sites.

The Colonials will play their first home game of the season against VMI on Saturday at 2 p.m.